Swedes are drinking themselves to death

Discussion in other languages than french and Swedish.
För Svenska : Svenska Torget

Modérateur: Modérateurs

Swedes are drinking themselves to death

Messagepar Herr Omar » Dim Aoû 05, 2007 10:40 pm

1 May 2007

The number of women suffering from cirrhosis of the liver has risen by 25 percent in six years, and there’s been a 10 percent increase in men.

The figures were compiled by the Center for Social Research on Alcohol and Drugs, which says there could be a link with an increase in alcohol being brought into Sweden from other EU countries, where it’s cheaper.

On average, adults in Sweden drink around 10 liters of pure alcohol every year and around five men and two women per 100,000 people die of cirrhosis of the liver annually.

SR International

(SR = Sveriges Radio)
Herr Omar
VIP
VIP

Publicite

Sponsor

Re: Swedes are drinking themselves to death

Messagepar Greg975 » Ven Mar 21, 2008 2:12 pm

Herr Omar a écrit:1 May 2007

The number of women suffering from cirrhosis of the liver has risen by 25 percent in six years, and there�s been a 10 percent increase in men.

The figures were compiled by the Center for Social Research on Alcohol and Drugs, which says there could be a link with an increase in alcohol being brought into Sweden from other EU countries, where it�s cheaper.

On average, adults in Sweden drink around 10 liters of pure alcohol every year and around five men and two women per 100,000 people die of cirrhosis of the liver annually.

SR International

(SR = Sveriges Radio)

Sweden has still a long way to go before the people drink as much as in France. 8)
Greg975
Nouveau Suédonaute
Nouveau Suédonaute

Messagepar Mac-Patxaran » Mar Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm

IMO, the main difference between Swedes and French people is that Swedes drink to get drunk, they seldom have a light consumption only for pleasure. I guess it's not health-friendly :D
L'oignon fait la force.
http://fjarilskotlett.over-blog.com/
Mac-Patxaran
Suédonaute habitué
Suédonaute habitué

Niveau de suédois: Débutant

Re:

Messagepar patch » Mer Oct 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Mac-Patxaran a écrit:IMO, the main difference between Swedes and French people is that Swedes drink to get drunk, they seldom have a light consumption only for pleasure. I guess it's not health-friendly :D

Guess not but still more people die from alcohol related problems in other european countires, like france, than in sweden (this have been and still is one of the strongest arguments pro systembolaget in sweden, there are atleast one intresting SOU on the subject), I guess its about to change though...

/karin
patch
Suédonaute discret
Suédonaute discret

Niveau de suédois: Débutant

Messagepar Paris-Breizh » Mer Nov 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi,

I've been living in the UK since 2007 and I'm thinking of leaving for a number of reasons, including the alcoolism problem.
I rent a flat in an area full of bars, discos, etc. and on Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights, the streets are full of very rowdy drunks and party goers, both students and professionals. Recently, a university student was caught urinating on a monument to the memory of World War I and World War II dead. Thankfully, he's been convicted and will probably be sentenced, if only to a fine and small stay in jail.
In the morning, when I go to work, I have to be careful not to slip on vomit (sometimes in the entrance hall of my building: last weekend, when coming back from a walking holiday in Cornwall at 11pm, I chanced on two students who were attempting to crawl up the staircase, on all fours!). People also often urinate on the entrance door of the building, which I find disgusting.

For comparison, do people drink as much in Sweden as in the UK? In France, I haven't seen much alcoolism, except in central Rennes and Nantes, and in the bad parts of Paris. In Finland on the other hand, I know there is a lot of alcoolism (I spent a whole 3 weeks in the same hotel as 3 Finnish people while doing a language course in Rumania, and they drank to the point of throwing up every single night!). These Finnish people also boasted about 'booze cruises', i.e. in Finland you can go on a ferry trip just to get drunk.

Thanks for any information.
Paris-Breizh
Nouveau Suédonaute
Nouveau Suédonaute

Messagepar Frej » Jeu Nov 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Paris-Breizh a écrit:Hi,

I've been living in the UK since 2007 and I'm thinking of leaving for a number of reasons, including the alcoolism problem.
I rent a flat in an area full of bars, discos, etc. and on Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights,

Wouldn't be a good idea to move from that area, to begin with?

I mean, all the "party areas" of the world look quite the same at 3 am... being in London, Paris, Stockholm, New-York or Madrid. :roll:

/Frej
"No One Likes Us, We Don't Care..."
Frej
Suédonaute confirmé
Suédonaute confirmé

Niveau de suédois: Avancé

Messagepar JacquesG » Sam Nov 14, 2009 10:08 am

... or even in smaller towns, like Dijon, where cars are vandalized during the night by drunk people going from one bar to another.
JacquesG
Suédonaute Permanent
Suédonaute Permanent

Messagepar Paris-Breizh » Dim Déc 13, 2009 2:24 am

I'm thinking of buying (if I'm staying in the UK: waiting for outcome of April 2010 elections, amount of payrise next summer, and internal job offers once I've been 2 years in my present job), and it would have to be in a 'posh' area. However I would face a much longer, trickier (and somewhat expensive) commute and most of my grocery shopping would have to be done online as I don't drive.
Right now I've got a 2 minute walk to my shuttle bus to work, 10 minutes walk to the central bus station, 15 minutes walk to the railway station, and 2 minutes walk to the airport shuttle. There are also several shops and supermarkets within walking distance, and a library.
I wish city centres in the UK were more like Paris. In Paris the 'banlieues' are where cars get burned down (except for Neuilly), while Paris intra muros (well, the west part at least) is refined and civilised. Where I lived, nearly everybody was over 50, and lots of people were in their 70's and 80's (and still living independently). As my French GP says, people who don't live in upper-class areas don't seem to age well at all, not just physically, but mentally as well.
Apart from places like the Champs Elysees (where I seldom go, even though it's within 15 minutes of where I have my flat), and Bastille (where I haven't been in several years!), and the Quartier Latin/Montparnasse, the town isn't a party town. You don't get alcoholism problems or feral youth running around. The kind of people who are partying in Bristol, in Paris, they would be arrested and sent to the psychiatric asylum.
I have to check out London, I lived there for 6 months in the 90's and I've been back several times since, on short stays: always astonished at how much traffic there is, and the Tube is even worse than in Paris (commuting to work: 2 hours a day in a sauna, fighting off 'masseurs'). I don't know how they're going to manage for the Olympics.
Paris-Breizh
Nouveau Suédonaute
Nouveau Suédonaute

Messagepar Paris-Breizh » Dim Déc 13, 2009 4:49 am

JacquesG a écrit:... or even in smaller towns, like Dijon, where cars are vandalized during the night by drunk people going from one bar to another.

Have just heard about Johnny Halliday's surgeon getting attacked outside his home in Paris. He lives in the same 'quartier' as me, and this is really, really unusual! So now he has a bodyguard and the police are trying to find whodunnit! I wish I could discuss it with my concierge, she must be horrified! It happened almost on our doorstep!

So weird that Johnny chose to have his operation at this clinique. I've heard of it, and it wasn't very positive. He shouldn't have travelled so early (especially a long-haul flight) but I understand his predicament: in the past, I've had to travel back to the UK (Eurostar + train) straight after a visit to the dentist in Paris; my face was still numb from the anaesthesia and I really felt I should have deserved to spend the evening at home, but I had to be back at work the next day. I've been postponing a small operation because I would need to take a whole week off work (the anaesthesists need to do tests several days before, I need to stay 24 hours in the hospital afterwards, and then I can't travel straight away, in case there are complications).

It's not yet 3am and it's been really quiet for half an hour! Maybe it's the cold. Though my neighbours usually 'party' inside the building as well: I've encountered drunk people trying to crawl up the stairs to their flat, and the bank which occupies the ground floor had to hire carpet cleaners after someone vomited in the entrance hall. Not great...
Paris-Breizh
Nouveau Suédonaute
Nouveau Suédonaute

Messagepar Frej » Mar Déc 15, 2009 9:59 am

Paris-Breizh a écrit:Have just heard about Johnny Halliday's surgeon getting attacked outside his home in Paris. He lives in the same 'quartier' as me, and this is really, really unusual! So now he has a bodyguard and the police are trying to find whodunnit! I wish I could discuss it with my concierge, she must be horrified! It happened almost on our doorstep!

Probably someone from the suburb who didn't aged well :?:
"No One Likes Us, We Don't Care..."
Frej
Suédonaute confirmé
Suédonaute confirmé

Messagepar pole » Ven Jan 29, 2010 1:37 am

Do you have any resources related to cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis of the liver can occur in cases of chronic liver problems.
pole

Publicite

Retourner vers English - Deutsch etc

• Articles en relation
    Réponses
    Vus
    Dernier message